Integration is commonly understood as a key mechanism in Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP).
At the same time, the precise meaning of integration has rarely been elaborated, nor have its implications for different MSP processes been fully explored.
MSP integration challenges
A closer look at MSP quickly reveals that integration is a multi-dimensional concept. There are various integration needs in MSP, ranging from policy and sector integration to multi-scale and transboundary integration, stakeholder integration, and the integration of different knowledge bases (see below table).
|Policy and sector integration||
|Multi-scale and transboundary integration||
|Integration of knowledge base||
Have a look at the movie below to explore the four different types of integration challenges in more detail.
Finding constructive solutions to integration challenges
Achieving integration in MSP across all these various dimensions is no easy feat. This is not helped by the fact that there is little information on the constraints and benefits of successful integration, e.g. in terms of increased efficiency, distributive effects, stakeholder participation and political legitimacy.
BALTSPACE has been conceived to address the various integration challenges encountered by MSP. Working with an interdisciplinary team of scientists, and supported throughout by MSP practitioners, it focused on three strategically selected case study areas with the aims of
- Understanding the roles, drivers and effects of integration in marine spatial planning processes in the Baltic Sea Region, with particular focus on
- knowledge, and
- levels of governance,
- Analysing how MSP can contribute to addressing these integration challenges,
- Developing practitioner-oriented aproaches and tools for MSP to help deal with these challenges.
BALTSPACE found constructive solutions to the various integration challenges which resulted in better understanding of MSP in the BSR and can improve the capacity of MSP to act as a policy integrator. Importantly, BALTSPACE also provided tools to MSP practitioners enabling them to constructively respond to current and future challenges of Baltic Sea governance.
Learn more about BALTSPACE research activities on integration challenges and check out the project outputs.
- BONUS BALTSPACE Project Deliverable 2.1: Baseline Mapping and Refined Case Study Design
- BONUS BALTSPACE Project Deliverable 2.4: MSP as a Governance Approach? Knowledge Integration Challenge in MSP in the Baltic Sea